Monday, November 7

Oreo vs. Borios

Snip Snap Needs some Milk with That.
Out of all the things sweet, cookies are my favorite treats eat. So guess what kind of product is being counterfeited now? (Answer: What do you think?) Oreos, one of America’s Top Selling cookies, was a target of counterfeiters who dubbed their product “Borios”. (History Time!) The Oreo was developed and produced in 1912 by a company called Nabisco in New York City. I “Googled” the terms “fake cookies” and found that “Borios” first started selling in China around the year 2003.

So what’s next? (I think I know!) Introducing “Cringles”, the cheaper yet “Better” version of Pringles. (Umm, I think the fun JUST STOPPED.) I’m just kidding, but it is a bit shocking to see a cookie OF ALL THINGS being counterfeited. Most counterfeiters replicate shoes, clothing, or jewelry, but a COOKIE? (Back to the Borios.) I wonder if “Borio” branded cookies even taste good? Maybe they taste BETTER than Oreos AND they grant wishes for each cookie eaten. (Cricket, Cricket and there goes the Tumbleweed.) Borios tasting “Better” than Oreos is about as true as the company that invented them. (But what about the WISHES???) Listen to the names “Borios” and “Oreos”, don’t you think it’s kind of funny that both names rhyme like that? (Remember my Cringles example?) Even if the names rhyming are a coincidence, look at the logos from each brand. (Umm, what’s wrong?) Borios and Oreos have the same distinctive blue and white lettering for their logos and that CAN’T be a "coincidence". This makes me WISH that SOMEBODY could catch these counterfeiters. (I guess I ate a BORIO!!!)

The USDA has a pretty good record when it comes to managing knockoff products from other countries, but the full extent of the problem is STILL unknown. (Dom, Dom, DOMMM!!!) There could be hundreds or even thousands of other foods being counterfeited. (Umm, are my crackers real?) In fact, USDA has confiscated plenty of knockoff food/beverage products of major food brands like Frito Lay, Kraft, and Kelloggs just to name a few. (Spoiler Alert!) In a future story, I actually report on on counterfeit Coca Cola products. (When will they STOPPP?!!!) This whole “Borio Incident” is a good reminder that ALL imported products, including foods, can’t always be trusted. (That’s an UNDERSTATEMENT!) Let’s hope that USDA keeps up enforcement on ALL COUNTERFIETS including foods/beverages.



No comments:

Post a Comment